Don't Invite COVID To Your House
March 11, 2021 4:00 PM
Hello Western Students,
We have learned of a community outbreak of COVID-19 in London involving some of our students. I want to make sure you have information about this and I need to ask for your continued help in keeping your friends and your community as safe as possible.
Community Outbreak Details
Currently, we have 22 students associated with this outbreak. Most live off-campus. Three live in residence. As always, those in residence were moved immediately to an isolation location outside of residence.
Public health will contact those who have tested positive, as well as anyone who is deemed to be at risk. It might be a bit unnerving if you are called by our colleagues in public health. But please be as helpful as possible. Make sure you are honest and open about with whom you have been in close contact. They need this information to help keep the community safe.
Western will continue to support all impacted students, including any in close contacts with the students who live in residence.
How You Can Help
We are very concerned about this situation. We know it feels like the pandemic has been going on forever. We are all missing our friends and families but there is light at the end of this tunnel. And we will get there sooner if we all work together for a bit longer. We know you want to help. Here is what you can do:
- Keep your close contacts limited… like really really limited. Yes I need for you to pick your best friend and only hangout with them (I hope you like them a lot).
- Stay socially connected to other friends and family. Phone calls, small gifts and funny texts can go a long way.
- Sport your favourite mask whenever you leave the house. Seriously, a COVID mask is the 2020-21 trending accessory.
- If someone knocks on your door...maybe they’re bringing you a fabulous gift (who knows?) strike your best pose and show off your mask.
St. Patrick's Day
- March 17th is often an unofficial day to blow off steam.
- You might have been thinking about a small gathering with your friends. Please don't. Remember what I said about your one best friend?
- If you’re going to joyfully welcome the start of spring with a few festivities, be sure not to inadvertently invite COVID to your party. It leaves the worst hangover that lasts for weeks.
Vaccines are coming. Stay hopeful. Play smart.
Associate Vice-President, Student Experience
Contacts for students and families:
- Health-related inquiries: Health & Wellness at email@example.com or 519-661-3030 Telehealth Ontario 1-866-797-0000 or toll-free TTY 1-866-797-0007
- Students in residence: firstname.lastname@example.org or 519-495-3980 (leader on call)
- Other inquires: Student Support & Case Management at email@example.com or 519-661-2111 x89152