Proof of vaccination required for campus access
August 25, 2021 3:00 PM
Dear Students and Colleagues of the Western, Brescia, Huron and King’s Community,
High rates of vaccination continue to be our clearest path to a safe community and a safe campus. This is why Western and our affiliated university colleges are taking further action to support increased vaccination rates.
The Council of Ontario Medical Officers of Health has strongly recommended mandatory vaccinations for all post-secondary institutions in the province. Aligned with this recommendation, Western has updated and will be implementing our vaccination policy while we await further direction from the government.
How our vaccination policy has changed:
The policy, effective September 7, will apply to all members of our community – including students, employees and visitors – and requires proof of vaccination for anyone planning to be on campus this fall. Testing in lieu of vaccination is now only available to those with a medical or Ontario Human Rights Code exemption. Everyone attending campus must provide proof of vaccination or have an exemption, and those with an exemption must be tested for COVID-19 twice weekly. There is no longer a testing option for those who simply choose not to be vaccinated.
Collecting proof of vaccination is a key aspect of implementing this policy. In the coming days you will receive instructions on how to provide proof of vaccination. All members of the community must upload information by September 7. Those who are not yet fully vaccinated have until October 12 to submit proof of vaccination and will be required to be tested for COVID-19 twice weekly in the interim.
Following the directive from the Council of Ontario Medical Officers of Health, only in rare circumstances may individuals be granted an exemption for medical reasons and grounds protected under the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Western’s vaccination and testing centre is open to students, staff and faculty and we continue to encourage our campus community to get vaccinated as soon as possible.
The health and safety of our campus community and the broader London community is a shared responsibility. For more information on Western’s testing and vaccination centre and enhanced safety measures please visit www.uwo.ca/coronavirus.
We appreciate your participation in this important work.
Dr. Sarah Prichard, Interim Provost & Vice-President (Academic)
Lynn Logan, Vice-President (Operations & Finance)
CONTACTS AND SUPPORTS
- New students: email@example.com
- Office of the Registrar: www.registrar.uwo.ca/services/contact_us.html
- Graduate students: https://grad.uwo.ca/administration/directory.html
- Residence inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
- International students: email@example.com
- Health-related inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org or 519-661-3030
- Student Support & Case Management: email@example.com or 519-661-2111 x89152
- Well-being supports: Confidential services through Morneau Shepell called LifeWorks
- Health-related inquiries: Contact your family doctor, Telehealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000, or Workplace Health at Western at 519-661-2047
- Accessibility needs: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Other inquiries: Human Resources at email@example.com
AFFILIATED UNIVERSITY COLLEGES